ONLINE NOW: 0 MEMBERS

ACCRA Consortium branding-small

group-landing-header

Africa Climate Change Resilience Alliance >> Resources from ACCRA & Members >> Admin

Stories of Change

Stories of Change

Improving access and utilisation of weather and climate information services in Uganda

Until 2012, the Uganda National Meteorological Authority has adopted a seasonal forecast model initiated by ACCRA and its members which registered significant institutional practice change, so that rural women and men farmers now have access to weather information in their local language. The innovation has attracted other donors such as GIZ, USAID, and UNICEF to scale up ACCRA’s model.

"For the first time we have received the weather forecasts in the local language, which has not happened before. When I heard the programme on the radio, I was excited and kept listening every day. I do not know how to write, so I instructed my son to write the important points. It has helped me to plan and so far the forecast has been accurate. "Woman farmer, Northern Uganda (picture on the right)

Read more about stories on weather forecasting here.

Developing local adaptation plans (LAPs) and National climate change indicators in Uganda and Mozambique

In Mozambique the Ministry of Land, Environment and Rural Development (MITADER) has adopted the TAMD process as a climate-resilience planning tool for developing local adaptation plans. This has helped the government attract additional funds (e.g. DANIDA) scaled up to 25 local adaptation plans (LAPs) from 7 piloted by ACCRA and USAID has piloted the model in urban context with 2 municipalities of Quelimane and Pemba. This video explains each step of developing Local Adaptation Plans, from their design to their handover to the community.

In Uganda, the Ministry of Water and Environment and the Climate Change Department has adopted the TAMD process and developed standard national climate change indicators which were generated at community level, and validated by national decision makers. The indicators are yet to be approved by cabinet.Find out more in this 4 page case study.

Mainstreaming gender, CCA and DRR into local government development plans

ACCRA integrates gender sensitive approaches in all parts of its work to ensure that climate change vulnerabilities, capacities and adaptation options take into account gender-related issues. This is done by:

• Integrating gender analysis in the climate change capacity and vulnerability assessment tools and processes
  • Promoting gender responsive approaches, technologies and gender sensitive dissemination channels of information
  • Ensuring equitable representation of men and women on different adaptation committees and trainings
  • Enhancing skills and capacity through ToTs to continually analyse the linkages between climate change vulnerabilities, and adaptive capacities to gender roles and identities
  • Linking research on climate change and gender.

In Ethiopia, the Ministry of Agriculture - the government body in charge of implementing Climate Resilient and Green Economy Strategy (CRGE) - has adopted a participatory Woreda CRGE investment planning manual initiated by ACCRA which has embraced gender mainstreaming. As a result, the Ministry of Agriculture and Natural Resources’ Women’s Affairs Directorate (WAD) have commissioned a consultancy to develop a gender equality strategy for the ministry- the first of its kind in Ethiopia. ACCRA has been nominated as a consultancy taskforce member.

In Uganda, the NAPA pilot funding from Ministry of Water and Environment has made a difference in women’s and men’s lives. Bundibugyo District attracted the NAPA funding due to the improved District Development plan with technical support from ACCRA. Read more stories of change as a result of NAPA funding.